In case you missed it, December was a CRAZY month for us - we listed our little split foyer and it sold way faster than we expected it to! We already had an offer in on another house that had just been flipped so we accepted the first offer on our house thinking we had our bases covered but the inspection on the one we thought were buying was an absolute NIGHTMARE! [cue panic] Now that it is all over with, I am so glad the other house didn't work out because about 2 weeks later, we found the most perfect house!!! You better believe its a fixer upper; I wouldn't have it any other way! The kitchen being "the heart of the home" is 100% true for us, so its the first place we started.
It was very dated but it had great bones and lots of potential without having to totally gut it! Its clearly not a big kitchen, and that many upper cabinets in a space that small made me feel a little claustrophobic. We originally planned on taking down the upper cabinets on the right side and adding open shelving there, but I was worried that wouldn't leave me enough space to hide the unsightly necessities in a kitchen, especially since this house doesn't have a pantry, so we decided to take down the left side instead.
Once the cabinets on the left side were down, we busted out the sunshine-yellow tiled backsplash that was there so we could start our shiplap backsplash. Lowe's now carries real shiplap where the sides overlap and almost interlock and it was totally worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! Putting it up was a breeze and we spent less than $75 on the lumber, plus $20 for paint, $5 for screws, and $8 and a counter-sink drill bit... that's a pretty cheap backsplash!!
We found and marked the studs, then measured the length of each board individually. It is an older house so its not perfectly even - its a good thing we didn't just use the same measurement for each cut because the lengths varied slightly from cut to cut. Next, we held the board in place and used the countersink bit at the stud mark so that the screw would bury itself once we screwed it in. We did 3 screws per board, all in a stud, to make sure it would support the weight of floating shelving. I filled the countersink holes with wood filler before painting so that you wouldn't be able to see the screws' heads. I had the paint department tint primer to Benjamin Moore's White Dove so 1) we'd get better coverage 2) not have to buy and apply 2 different products 3) have a great base that would hold up to the use it would get in a kitchen.
On one of our many many many many trips to Lowe's, we stumbled across these shelves. They seemed a little pricey to us at first but once we really considered the cost of lumber, stain, hardware, and any special tools you need, not to mention the labor and either having the entire house reek stain or having to waiting until spring to finish them outside, they were really a steal! They're so stinkin' cute, easy to put up, and the material makes them very easy to clean which is a major plus, especially in the kitchen. The shelves we had built for our old house held on to every particle of dust - these just wipe perfectly clean which is a win in my book!
And this is where we've gotten so far in the past 2 weeks! We replaced the awkward microwave cabinet with one of the uppers we took down from the left side and it opened it up a lot! We also got new appliances, changed the light fixtures, and added a vent hood which we have yet to finish. I am still so torn about what direction I want to go with the countertops, flooring, and cabinet color the kitchen is at a stand until I can get it together, BUT we have made HUGE progress and its functional so I am patiently waiting for the rest of the vision to come together! Can't wait to share it with you when it does - until then,